Sacramento County’s Department of Regional Parks, in partnership with California Parks and Recreation Society and as part of the Parks Make Life Better campaign, is bringing Agents of Discovery, a fun and educational, augmented reality application to park visitors, free of charge, from July 1 – 31. While in participating parks, users will be encouraged to explore new areas to find “challenges” that will… well, challenge their knowledge of the parks!
If you’ve ever played games like Pokémon GO or Harry Potter Wizards Unite, you’re likely familiar with augmented reality. This technology combines visuals and audio from the game with the user’s actual environment in real-time.
When users enter the active park area, they will begin receiving tips through the app that will help them find and complete the challenges.
Agents of Discovery Tips and Disclaimers:
- While Agents of Discovery is best downloaded and played using WiFi, it is also accessible using cellular data.
- Under “Missions” search for the park you plan on visiting, either “River Bend Park” or “Gibson Ranch Regional Park” and download mission prior to visiting.
- Make sure GPS is enabled.
- Be aware and cautious of possible traffic, other people, and obstacles that may be in your way when playing Agents of Discovery. Be sure to look around and be safe when playing.
- Create an account in order to save your progress.
- Agents of Discovery is fun for all ages. Children should get parental permission before downloading this app.
- Parks are open from sunrise to sunset.
- Please practice social distancing while outdoors.
- Maintain at least six-foot social distancing from individuals who are not part of the same household or living unit
- Frequently wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use hand sanitizer that is recognized by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as effective in combating COVID-19
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or fabric or, if not possible, into the sleeve or elbow (but not into hands);
- Avoid all social interactions outside the household when sick with a fever or cough.
- Wear a face covering if unable to maintain six-feet of physical distancing from individuals who are not part of your household or living unit.
Download the app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store and head to either Gibson Ranch Regional Park or River Bend Park and start playing on July 1!